Subscribe to 1915 Woodworks on YouTube
Do you want to learn how to make coasters with inlays? It’s a really fun and easy project that you can do at home with some basic woodworking skills. In this tutorial, we will show you how to create beautiful coasters using EZ Inlays. We’ll walk you through the entire process step-by-step, and you’ll be able to finish up the project in no time!
What Are Coasters And What Can They Be Made From
Coasters are small, thin pieces of material that are placed under drinks to protect surfaces from spills.
Coasters can be made from a variety of materials, including paper, cork, plastic, and even wood. Inlays are coasters that have been created by cutting a design into a piece of wood and then filling it with a contrasting material, such as a different color of wood or a different type of wood altogether.
The most common type of wood used for coasters is cedar because it is lightweight and absorbs moisture well.
Coasters can be made in any shape or size, and they can be personalized with initials, monograms, or even photographs.
Want To Improve Your Woodworking?
Discover 1,000 Hours Of Step-By-Step Woodworking Videos
It’s called Woodwork101. A database of detailed videos and blueprints in crystal clear, mouth-watering HD that will take you by the hand and show you that DIY home projects done the right way are easy, fun, and always of top quality… turning dream into reality in a heart-beat. Getting you that perfect build each and every time.
The Different Types Of Inlays That Can Be Used In Coasters
There are a few different types of inlays that can be used in coasters. The most common type is the wood inlay. This is where a piece of wood is cut to fit into the coaster. The wood can be stained or painted to match the rest of the coaster.
Another type of inlay that can be used in coasters is the metal inlay. This is where a piece of metal is cut to fit into the coaster. The metal can be stained or painted to match the rest of the coaster.
The last type of inlay that can be used in coasters is the glass inlay. This is where a piece of glass is cut to fit into the coaster. The glass can be stained or painted to match the rest of the coaster.
Things To Keep In Mind When Making Coasters With Inlays
If you’re new to woodworking, coasters with inlays can seem like a daunting project. But with a little bit of planning and the right tools, they’re actually quite easy to make! Here are a few things to keep in mind when you’re making coasters with inlays:
– The first thing you need to do is decide on the design of your coaster. Do you want a simple geometric shape, or something more complicated?
– Once you have a design in mind, you need to choose the wood that you’re going to use. The type of wood will affect the overall look and feel of your coasters, so it’s important to choose wisely!
– Once you have your wood and design ready, it’s time to start cutting the pieces for your inlay. This is where a good quality jigsaw comes in handy! Make sure to take your time and cut accurately, as this will make assembling the coasters much easier.
– Once all the pieces are cut, it’s time to start assembling your coasters. Start by gluing the inlay pieces into the recesses you’ve cut out in the wood. Then, once the glue is dry, sand the coasters down so that everything is smooth.
– Finally, finish your coasters by applying a clear sealant or varnish. This will protect them from moisture and wear, and will make them last for years to come!
Making coasters with inlays is a great way to add a personal touch to your home décor. And with a little bit of planning and the right tools, they’re actually quite easy to make!
[Video] 3 Most Common Mistakes
When Setting Up Shop
A woodworking friend of mine shared this video by Ralph Chapman with me that helped him set up his workshop.
The video explains the benefits of Ralph Chapman’s guide about setting up an affordable workshop and avoiding the most common mistakes offers to anyone interested in woodworking.
Why Is It Called Coaster?
Have you ever wondered why coasters are called coasters? It turns out that there is a very interesting story behind the name.
The word “coaster” actually comes from the Old English word for “cup-bearer” or “cellarer.” In medieval times, coasters were responsible for making sure that the cups of wine served at feasts were refilled. They would also taste the wine to make sure it was of good quality.
Coasters were also responsible for bringing food and drink to the guests at banquets. They would carry large trays called “saltcellars” which held salt, bread, and other food.
The word “coaster” eventually came to be used for the tray itself. And in the early 1800s, coasters were made of wood with inlays of mother-of-pearl or other materials. They were very popular among the wealthy classes who could afford such luxury items.