Subscribe to The Grant Alexander on Youtube
Woodworking enthusiasts know that scrap wood is a valuable commodity. Even the smallest pieces of scrap wood can be put to good use in a variety of different projects. In this blog post, we will discuss eight different uses for thin strips of scrap wood. These versatile little pieces of lumber can be used for all sorts of things, from simple crafts to more advanced woodworking projects. So don’t toss those scraps away – put them to work and see what amazing things you can create!
What Kind Of Wood Are Paint Sticks?
Paint sticks are typically made of pine, aspen, or birch. They are cut from a block of wood into thin strips and then sanded down. This results in a smoother surface that is less likely to snag on your clothing than if the stick was left with its natural wood grain. Some paint sticks are also coated with a sealant to protect them from moisture.
Want To Improve Your Woodworking?
Discover 1,000 Hours Of Step-By-Step Woodworking Videos
It’s called Woodwork101. A database of detailed videos and blueprints in crystal clear, mouth-watering HD that will take you by the hand and show you that DIY home projects done the right way are easy, fun, and always of top quality… turning dream into reality in a heart-beat. Getting you that perfect build each and every time.
How Thick Is A Paint Stir Stick?
This is a question that has been asked by many people and the answer is not straightforward. The thickness of a paint stir stick can vary, but it is usually around ¼ inch thick. However, it is best to check with the manufacturer to be sure.
Paint stir sticks can be used in a variety of ways, including the following:
– as a measuring stick – to measure the thickness of paint or other liquids
– as a scraper – to remove dried paint or other material from surfaces
– as a ruler – to measure distances or angles
– as a spacer – to space objects or materials evenly
– as a marker – to mark a spot on a surface
– as a tool for stirring paint or other liquids
– as a platform for small objects
What Are Garden Markers For?
A lot of people like to garden, but may not have the greenest thumb. With some help from garden markers, you can keep track of what’s planted where and when. They can also be helpful in distinguishing between similar plants.
– You can make your own garden markers out of thin strips of scrap wood.
– All you need is a scrap of wood, a pencil, and some paint.
– First, use the pencil to draw your design onto the wood.
– Then, use a paintbrush to paint it in.
– Let it dry completely before using.
Now you can plant away!
[Video] 3 Most Common Mistakes
When Setting Up Shop
A woodworking friend of mine shared this video by Ralph Chapman with me that helped him set up his workshop.
The video explains the benefits of Ralph Chapman’s guide about setting up an affordable workshop and avoiding the most common mistakes offers to anyone interested in woodworking.
What Can I Use As A Glue Spreader?
A scrap of wood can make a great glue spreader. Simply cut a thin strip of scrap wood and use it to apply glue to your project. This is a quick and easy way to get an even coat of glue on your project without making a mess.
You can also use an old credit card, a ruler, roller, brush, popsicle stick or a chopstick to spread glue.
How Do You Spread Wood Glue?
One of the questions that woodworkers often ask is how to spread wood glue. Many people simply use a brush, but this can be messy and it’s not always easy to get the glue where you want it. A better option is to use a glue spreader.
A glue spreader is simply a thin strip of wood that you can use to spread the glue evenly over the surface of the wood. It’s a lot easier to use than a brush, and it ensures that the glue is applied evenly.
What Are Sanding Sticks Used For?
Sanding sticks are thin strips of wood that can be used for a variety of woodworking projects. They are commonly used for sanding wood, but they can also be used for other tasks such as scraping or cleaning.
There are many different ways to use sanding sticks. Here are eight of the most common ways:
– Sanding wood: Sanding sticks can be used to sand wood surfaces. They are especially useful for sanding in tight spaces or around curves.
– Sanding metal: Sanding sticks can also be used to sand metal surfaces. This is a great way to remove rust or corrosion from metal surfaces.
– Removing paint: Sanding sticks can be used to remove paint from wood surfaces. They are also great for removing paint from metal surfaces.
– Cleaning wood: Sanding sticks can be used to clean wood surfaces. This is a great way to remove dirt, dust, and debris from wood surfaces.
– Cleaning metal: Sanding sticks can also be used to clean metal surfaces. This is a great way to remove dirt, dust, and debris from metal surfaces.
– Scraping: Sanding sticks can be used for scraping purposes. They are great for removing stickers or decals from wood or metal surfaces.
– Shaping wood: Sanding sticks can be used to shape wood surfaces. They are especially useful for shaping small wood pieces.
Should You Use A Push Stick For Bandsaw?
The answer to that question, of course, is yes. A push stick is a must-have for anyone using a bandsaw. It helps you keep your hands away from the blade and makes it safer to operate the saw. There are many different designs for push sticks, but all of them accomplish the same goal – keeping your hands safe.
If you’re not sure how to make a push stick, there are plenty of online tutorials that can show you how. And if you’re not comfortable using a bandsaw at all, there are plenty of other woodworking projects that you can try. The key is to start small and work your way up. You’ll be surprised at what you can accomplish once you get the hang of it.
In woodworking, as with most things in life, practice makes perfect. So don’t be afraid to try new things. You may not always succeed the first time, but with a little effort you’ll be able to master even the most challenging woodworking projects.
5 Tools Under $30 Every Woodworker Needs
How Does A Spline Strengthen A Miter Joint?
A miter joint is a type of woodworking joint that is created when two pieces of wood are cut at an angle and then glued together. The strength of a miter joint comes from the glue, but it can be strengthened by using a spline.
A spline is a thin strip of wood that is inserted into the miter joint. The spline helps to distribute the force of the glue evenly and it also prevents the wood from splitting.
If you are using a spline, it is important to cut the angle of the two pieces of wood so that they match up perfectly. This will ensure that the spline is in the right place and it will help to keep the joint strong.
What Is A Small Shim?
A small shim is a thin piece of wood that can be used in woodworking projects. They are typically used to fill in small gaps or to adjust the height of something. Shim is another word for it, which is derived from the Old English word scyma, meaning “a slice, piece, or chip of wood.”