There are a few different ways that you can make tongue and groove without a router. In this blog post, we will discuss three of the most popular methods. Each method has its own set of pros and cons, so it is important to choose the method that best suits your needs. Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
The First Way To Make Tongue And Groove Without A Router Is By Using A Table Saw
If you don’t have a router, or if you’re looking for a simpler way to make tongue and groove, you can use a table saw. Here’s how:
1. Set the blade of your table saw to half the thickness of your wood. For example, if you’re using 1″ thick boards, set the blade to 1/2″.
2. Make a cut down the length of one board.
3. Flip the board over and make another cut next to the first one. The two cuts should be parallel to each other.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 with the other boards.
5. Fit the boards together, tongue-side into the groove-side. You may need to tap them gently with a mallet to get them to fit snugly.
There you have it! A simple way to make tongue and groove without a router.
The Second Way To Make Tongue And Groove Without A Router Is By Using A Circular Saw
If you don’t have a router, or if you’re looking for a tongue and groove joint that doesn’t require a lot of setup, then using a circular saw is a great option. This method is also ideal for making long cuts, such as when you’re creating multiple tongue and groove joints.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Set the blade of your circular saw to the depth of your tongue and groove joint.
2. Cut one side of your groove into the workpiece.
3. Move over to the other workpiece and cut a shoulder on that piece, making sure to stop the cut before it reaches the bottom of the groove.
4. Fit the two pieces together and check the fit. If necessary, make adjustments to the depth of your cuts until the joint fits snugly.
5. Once you’re happy with the fit, glue the two pieces together and clamp them in place until the glue dries.
That’s it! You’ve now successfully made a tongue and groove joint without a router.
The Third Way To Make Tongue And Groove Without A Router Is By Using A Jigsaw
Subscribe to Free Online Woodworking School
If you don’t have a router, or if you’re looking for a simpler way to make tongue and groove, you can use a jigsaw. This method is quicker and doesn’t require any special equipment, just a saw and some patience.
Start by cutting a groove into one piece of wood. You can use a straight edge to guide your saw, or freehand it. Just make sure the groove is wide enough to fit your jigsaw blade.
Next, cut a tongue on the other piece of wood. Again, you can use a straight edge or freehand it. The tongue should be slightly narrower than the groove you just cut.
Now you can assemble the tongue and groove without a router. Just fit the tongue into the groove and secure it with glue or nails.
This method is quick and easy, and doesn’t require any special equipment. So if you’re looking for a simpler way to make tongue and groove, give this method a try.
Which Method Is The Best For You?
Tongue and groove is a popular way to make hardwood floors without using a router. There are several ways to do this, and each has its own advantages and disadvantages. The best method for you will depend on your budget, your skill level, and the tools you have available.
The most important thing to remember when making tongue and groove is to take your time and measure twice before cutting once. This will help you avoid mistakes that could ruin your project.
Pros And Cons Of Each Method discussed above
Pros: Simple to set up and use, doesn’t require any special equipment.
Cons: Takes more time to make each cut, more difficult to get a precise fit.
Pros: Quick and easy, great for making long cuts.
Cons: Requires more skill to use, can be difficult to get a precise fit.
Pros: Quick and easy, doesn’t require any special equipment.
Cons: Can be more difficult to make long cuts, more difficult to get a precise fit.